Dr. Loren Barrus has been a physician and surgeon at Cataract & Laser Institute since 1989. He has been the president since 1993. During that time he has performed well over 10,000 eye surgeries. These include cataract and lens-implant surgery with multi-focal and accommodating lenses.
Dr. Barrus has published and presented original research at national meetings. He has lectured extensively and made numerous contributions to ophthalmology textbooks.
His hobbies include water and snow skiing, fishing, and tennis. He served in the Boy scouts of America and Cub Scouts for over 15 years. He also coached youth soccer and Pop Warner football for 12 years.
Dr. Barrus is currently accepting new patients.
Bachelor of Science, Brigham Young University
- Major: Premedical Zoology, minor: German
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude, Valedictorian, College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences
- Alivina Soffell Barrett and Presidential academic scholarships
- University of Utah School of Medicine
- Graduated second out of 116 students
- Vice-president Alpha Omega, Alpha Honor Society
- Cora Hayward scholarship award
- Transitional Internship: LDS and Primary Children's Hospitals, Salt Lake City
- Ophthalmology Residency and Post-Residency Associateship: University of Iowa, Department of Ophthalmology
- Diplomat American Board of Ophthalmology
- Currently listed in "Guide to America's Top Ophthalmologists
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
- Jackson County Medical Society
- Iowa Eye Association
- Oregon Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
"This place is filled with staff who values everyone who walks into their office. They take their time to show every patient the same level of excellence care and service. As response to the negative comments, I for one don't want anyone rushing to get me out the door, without full proper correction of what ever brought me in to their office. The office management, Janice and Paula have always been friendly and make sure that they have had great staff to provide only the best."
~ Rea Riggs
"I’ve purchased two pairs of prescription Oakleys from the optical shop here, one sunglasses and the other progressives. They had an excellent selection of both high-end and budget frames and Gary and Jenny were very helpful in choosing and fitting the frames. Both sets of glasses turned out great—amazingly clear and comfortable! Highly recommended!"
~ Martin Stadtmueller
"I could not be more pleased by the treatment I received from Dr. Rutar and her staff. She performed two cataract surgeries for me and each time she carefully explained all the options and risks along with the likely outcomes. I was completely confident in her approach, as well as in her staff, who are very pleasant and professional."
~ Lee Baldwin
"Was able to easily get exam completed for my daughter and find her glasses that she liked!!"
~ Thriving Man
"Had debris in my eyes. Didn't think I flushed it all out. They got me in within a couple hours of calling and checked my eyes out for me. Very Professional and friendly staff. Highly recommend them. Thank you Dr. Barrus :)"
~ Yancy Savage
"1 one of the most professional office i seen. Very clean. Appointment on time. Staff very nice."
~ ECB Klamath